Heart Journey: The Most Important Question


So, as many of our friends and family already know, we met with the surgeon last Friday and settled on a date for the "big event." October 12. Oddly enough, the last surgery was done on January 12. Something about twelve. (Apple is also announcing the next iPhone on September 12...do I see a connection?) Anyway, I will be "double-teamed" this time around. The surgeon who did my first valve replacement is still practicing part-time, so he will be working with my current surgeon on the operation. That's kind of cool.

We settled on a date. We settled on a procedure (open heart). We settled on who would do the surgery and where. But there are still some important questions that have to be addressed. And there is one question more important than all the rest.

I have to decide what kind of valve I want to have. An artificial valve would last the rest of my life, almost guaranteeing no more surgery, but I would also have to be on blood thinner the rest of my life. Those who have been on such medication know (and tell me) that it comes with its own set of issues. To receive a tissue valve almost certainly guarantees another replacement in fifteen years or so. This is an important question Cathy and I have to resolve. (Personally, I wish the doctor would just tell me what I'm getting.) But it's not the most important question.

There are lots of things I have to get done at the church in the next thirty-nine days (not that I'm counting). I have absolute confidence in the church staff to carry on with the ministry while I'm incapacitated, but there are things I have to do and things I've promised to do before October 12 comes along. So I will be working quite intently over these next few weeks to get everything accomplished. But that's still not the most important question.

The question we're being asked most often now that we have a date ("When is the surgery?" was the #1 question until last Friday) is this: "What can we do?" Honestly, we don't know. Our lives are not the same as they were nearly nineteen years ago. Our kids are grown and fairly self-sufficient. I am not a solo pastor any longer; I have a great staff who will carry on. I can't predict how I will feel post-surgery. So, with great gratitude and appreciation to those who have asked, can we put that on hold and just say, "I promise, when we know what we need, we will let you know"? But still, that's not the most important question.

No, the most important question I have has to do with timing. The surgery is October 12. I will probably be in the hospital 5-7 days, and, if the past is any indication, have another 4-5 weeks where I just don't feel that good and get tired fairly quickly. So, the most important question is...

Will I feel good enough to go see Thor: Ragnarok when it releases to the theaters on November 3?

What??!!!??? You expected something serious from me?

Comments

  1. :) you'll be just fine, just as goofy, but fine and dandy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts